[hpsdr] Diversity reception w/dual Merc boards

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Wed Jul 28 13:43:09 PDT 2010

For all those who asked to be kept appraised of my diversity reception
project progress:

KISS Konsole (Windows) RCV-ONLY version is now up and running
successfully with two Mercury boards on the Atlas bus, providing
spatial diversity reception (if two spatially separated antennas are
connected to the Mercury boards) or polarization diversity (if two
sources of different polarization orientations are connected),
including an ability to sync  time-domain acquisitions to an
externally applied pulse to Atlas bus line A19 (for time-domain pulsar
work, for example).

At the present time the two receivers are operating on the same
frequency but it's straightforward (and is on the "to do" list) to add
independent frequency control of the second Mercury in case frequency
diversity is desired instead (even for two different bands).

The diversity option is front-panel selectable (RCVR1, DIVERSITY
(BOTH), RCVR2) and should not be a problem to implement in the
standard (Tx & Rx) version 1.0.6 of KISS Konsole.

It might be a while before there's a public release of KISS Konsole
with these features but, of course, I'd be happy to share this early-
alpha-stage code immediately with anyone that is interested.

Seems to work fine here!

73,  Joe K5SO