[hpsdr] LPU Regulators

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Thu Jul 1 17:32:11 PDT 2010

> I had a bad 12 volt regulator on a new LPU I was building and found replacements scarce as hens teeth.
> One of our normal suppliers listed 77 week lead time and another 10000 minimum order!

In general, parts not in stock are being listed with extreme lead
times.  Many parts are going on what is called "allocation" which
basically means you can't get them, and unless you have a registered
design or a track record on the part, you can't order it, either.  Parts
often carry large premiums during this period, which typically lasts 4
to 8 months in my experience.

The semiconductor industry in particular, and the electronics components
industry in general, goes through this cycle every several years.

73,

Lyle KK7P