[hpsdr] Potential New openHPSDR Project

Vern Kollas spoonman1227 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 10 12:35:23 PDT 2010

All,

You know... I bought a beagleboard to do just this awhile back.  I even posted
some stuff to the list to get some feedback and didn't get many replies back.
I have come up with about 3 possibilities on how I was going to go about this,
but my EET classes have slowed down any progress....  :-)

1.  was to get this LCD expansion for my beagleboard...
https://specialcomp.com/beagleboard/BeagleLCD2.htm
It looks really cool, but at last check with the developer, they were still
trying to figure out how they wanted to distribute the drivers/modules to make
it all work.  About the only way to get it working is to also buy one of their
SD cards that have a demo version of Angstrom already running.

2.  I was also looking at one of these modules:
http://www.kwikbyte.com/KBOC.html
They have a developer board that you could add on to quickly work on the
software side, but this module would seem to have quite the potential to have an
atlas compatible carrier card designed.  It is compatible with the beagleboard,
so the software should run on both for those that already have a beagleboard.  I
would think we could do something similar with the gumstix modules that have
been mentioned too.

3.  Here is my most recent find that just seems like a complete pack to get
started...  http://www.liquidware.com/shop/show/BB-BT/BeagleTouch
These guys have a few different approaches and modules that all work together.
You can either buy what you need, or get a couple different packs that include
everything.

For software, I was thinking either the Angstrom distribution that seems to have
a lot of beagleboard support, or Ubuntu.  I was thinking about using the ghpsdr
software that John Melton (sp?) has already done, but see about designing a
custom GUI for the smaller display and making it touchscreen friendly.  The
project has gotten me so interested that it inspired me to go back to school and
get my EET degree so that I may be able to help more on projects here.   Of
course now with the course work, I have less time to devote to any hobbies right
now.   HIHI!

Anyway, just my 2 cents and what I think about the possibilities for more of a
stand-alone transceiver...

73!!

Vern -- KC8YOH