[hpsdr] So I ordered an atlas, preparation is in order

Tim O'Rourke w4yn at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 15 12:45:16 PDT 2010

The SMD parts on this board are not too difficult to handle, get a good pair of tweezers designed for smd, the have a small undercut to assist in holding flea size parts and keep from launching them. Claen floor and work bench in case one gets away.
Use fine solder .015 or .032 max I like Kestler multicoe, I do not use lead free.
Apply thin layer of solder to 1 pad only solder that one leg or side while holding park in correct location. Press down on part and resolder the pad you just did, seats part against board. Continue to other side or legs of part. Use magnifier head set it helps.
NUMBER ONE before you start to install the card sockets double and tripple check orientation of pin 1 so that all the card slots are orientaed corerectly before soldering them on board. Solder on pin and then reheat that pin while pressing card holder against PC board. Check oriendation one more time before soldering all the contacts. Of you get a card 180 degrees off you might just as well order an new Atlas unless you have a good vacuume desodering station even with this and multilayer board you may destroy the plated through holes getting that socket off.
Take static precautions with regulators and check orientation before soldring.

Tim W4YN