[hpsdr] So I ordered an atlas, preparation is in order

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 13:39:56 PDT 2010

Some people like solder paste.  You apply a VERY small dab on each pad
and then stick the part on.  The paste holds it in place and lets you
work with one less hand.

In modern factories they stick down every part using paste first then
melt the solder by rolling the PCB into an oven.  This creates a near
perfect PCB.  Lacking an oven you can still hand solder with paste if
you like.

I just use thin silver solder and a long, thin conical tip on a temp.
controlled solder station and do al the work under a 4X loupe.

I think SMD construction goes faster than through hole and now prefer
it.  It goes much faster without the need to flip the board over.

In all cases (ICs and passives) the trick is to solder one lead down
first, check position, then solder the farthest away lead next.  then
the part is fixed on location and you can continue.  Finally reheat
the first lead to relieve any mechanical stress

I don't like tweezers to much.   they tend to work like small
catapults.  Tooth picks and the like with something stick on them will
pick up parts

--
=====
Chris Albertson