[hpsdr] So I ordered an atlas, preparation is in order

Chris Smith chris at vspl.co.uk
Fri Jul 16 02:32:54 PDT 2010

Dwayne

I'm 67 years old and have Dupuytren's Contracture in both hands and, after an unsuccessful operation for this condition on my left hand, have very little feeling in the middle two fingers. Handling SMDs is a little problematic for me, so I was delighted to see Kirk, KI4RK's, article in QST November 2008 - Hints and Kinks.

He describes using a "magnetic base"  - about $7 at hardware stores -  ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_base ) and a large sewing needle to hold the devices in place so you have both hands free for fine positioning and soldering. I've used this for all the SMDs on the various parts of the HPSDR project and only had two component failures - one to static and one to too much pressure on an LED where the needle went through the plastic package and destroyed the semiconductor!

Don't worry if you don't have a magnetic surface as the magnetic base is heavy and will stay put under its own weight.

Like Jim, VA3KV, I also use a magnifying lamp.

Good luck.

Vy 73

Chris G4NUX

I also use