[hpsdr] So I ordered an atlas, preparation is in order

James Thiessen va3kv.radio at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 19:50:47 PDT 2010

I built my Atlas back in January.  I used a lighted magnifier like this one:
http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B886
These lamps give just the right magnification, but more importantly they
give plenty of lighting.

I have tried head band magnifiers that you wear and place the magnifier in
front of your glasses but I find they where cumbersome to use with
progressive lenses. (I probably just  don't have enough patience.)

Whichever magnification method you choose, lots of lighting is essential.

With respect to the smd LED's, I made a little battery test jig to test them
to ensure that I had the correct orientation before I soldered them to the
board. It helps to double check.

Good luck with your project.

Jim
va3kv