[hpsdr] EER finals, predistortion

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sun Jul 25 00:40:47 PDT 2010

Hi Ben,

The openHPSDR Penelope exciter was designed to enable predistortion to be added when required.  It provides an ADC input that could take the envelope of your transmitted signal and compare it  with the envelope of the required signal  i.e.  Sqrt(I*I + Q*Q).

The envelope of the output of Penelope is already available at the output of  the ADC (U16). I did some initial test some time ago but the IMD performance of Penny is very good and does not benefit from adding predistortion. It did indicate that the technique is feasible and I'm sure would improve the performance of a subsequent PA stage.

The ADT-200A  (http://www.adat.ch/index_e.html) does use adaptive predistortion very effectively.

73's Phil...VK6APH