[hpsdr] EER finals, predistortion

Ben Witvliet pa5bw at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 23 03:24:07 PDT 2010

Dear all,

I found the following (commercial) publication on very high efficiency RF
power amplifiers:

<http://www.mathworks.nl/company/newsletters/digest/2010/july/nujira-amplifi
er-performance.html?s_v1=13445411_1-6XCKGU>
http://www.mathworks.nl/company/newsletters/digest/2010/july/nujira-amplifie
r-performance.html?s_v1=13445411_1-6XCKGU

It is of course a success story describing the benefit of their own product,
but the message I get from it: EER as we meant to achieve in Thor can be
done.

Also the article mentions the use of predistortion to create a very linear
amplifier. I heard that before from an English consultant (For my QRL I
participate in European standardization work). He said that mobile phone
network operators had great success with predistortion to get rid of IMD
products on combined installations. So I see the remark in this document as
a confirmation that that has become feasible with “average” means. I haven´t
seen any amateur publications yet on the use of non-linear or not-so-linear
amplifiers and predistortion. With the processing power we have in HPSDR
this may come within reach.

By the way: as a MatLab user I’m very interested in using Simulink to
simulate such applications. Makes it possible to replace the MatLab software
blocks bit-by-bit by real-life hardware.

Justed wanted to share this information with you.

Kindest regards, 73,

Ben, PA5BW