[hpsdr] High Power Amplifiers - Tracking Power Supplies

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Mon Jul 26 18:42:26 PDT 2010

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the contribution - the TDA8954 looks like a most useful device.

We should be able to make a very simple, but effective, tracking power
supply by driving the gates (via suitable driver chips) of a a pair of
complementary FETs directly from the Penelope FPGA.

Bill, KD5TFD, has a command line option in his HPSDR version of
PowerSDR(TM) to send envelope and phase rather than I&Q to Penny.  We can
use the envelope signal to drive the FETs and the phase to modulate the RF
drive (i.e. phase modulate the CORDIC).

I did some simple tests a while ago using a cheap switching FET as a 160m
Class E PA and it worked impressively well. See
<http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=THOR> and also the work by
Steve, G1YLB, who is working on this project.

One of the issues in the past with such designs has been to problem of
maintaining the phase relationship between the envelope and phase signals.

Given the high clock speed we use on Penny it should be straightforward to
tweak these to always give an optimum result.

Fertile ground for experimentation!

73's Phil...VK6APH