[hpsdr] High Power Amplifiers - Tracking Power Supplies

Dr. Jim Rothwell Rothwell at SpeechEnhancer.com
Fri Jul 23 16:24:12 PDT 2010

Hi,

Thanks to all for the excellent contributions to this list.

Just to comment on what many may already know, tracking power supplies
have been used sucessfully
for quite some time. A decade or more ago, Bob Carver used one in an
audio power amplifier, Sunfire I
think. As I recall, it maintained the DC supplies about 6V greater than
the required value the amp needed
for the signal at any given moment. They sounded great to me and had low
dissipation for a multi-FET design.

And if memory serves, the principle dates back even further.

There are some excellent high power class-d integrated amplifier chips
now, like the TDA8954, which might
potentially serve as the starting point for a tracking supply. Capable
of 400+w, about $9USD.

Best,

Jim Rothwell
St. Ann, MO