[hpsdr] HERMES schedule question...

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Wed Jun 16 19:04:14 PDT 2010

On Jun 16, 2010, at 6:59 PM, Dan Babcock wrote:

> Due to the installation of a number of fine pitch IC's, including a 240 Pin PQFP package Altera FPGA <http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/cyc3/cyc3_ciii52001.pdf>, the Hermes board is in my estimation a (very) advanced construction project.  Without the fine pitch IC's, I would say Hermes can be best classified as an intermediate level construction project that uses a combination of SMT and through hole parts.  Bearing in mind the packages for the SMT parts were chosen for circuit functionality and not ease of assembly, building the board is doable but is certainly not for the faint of heart.

It should also be noted that, unless I'm mistaken, Hermes will not be offered in a kit form.  You will have your choice of a bare PCB or a fully assembled and tested unit.  That means that you'll have to search out all the parts yourself.  If you want to do the construction on it as entertainment, that's cool, but when I've looked on other kits (such as Mercury and Penelope), it's hard to save much cash as opposed to the A&T versions.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com