[hpsdr] HERMES schedule question...

Dan Babcock n4xwe at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 16 18:59:30 PDT 2010

Hi Ray,

Good luck with the exam on Saturday and a hearty welcome to you and Carson.  I think you will find becoming involved in amateur radio is truly a life altering experience.

Due to the installation of a number of fine pitch IC's, including a 240 Pin PQFP package Altera FPGA <http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/cyc3/cyc3_ciii52001.pdf>, the Hermes board is in my estimation a (very) advanced construction project.  Without the fine pitch IC's, I would say Hermes can be best classified as an intermediate level construction project that uses a combination of SMT and through hole parts.  Bearing in mind the packages for the SMT parts were chosen for circuit functionality and not ease of assembly, building the board is doable but is certainly not for the faint of heart.

As you have read on the website, the Hermes project is reasonably close to being released to production.  There have been two alpha builds of the hardware and the third (and hopefully final) alpha build should be happening soon.   An alpha 2 version of the hardware (functioning in receive only) was on display a few weeks ago at the TAPR booth at the Dayton Hamvention.  In receive, Hermes worked well with Windows (PowerSDR), Mac OSX (Mac-ghpsdr) and Linux (ghpsdr3) consoles.

Thanks for your offer of assistance.  Everyone that has worked with high end commercial and military RF electronics is well acquainted with Wenzel.

73,

Dan N4XWE