[hpsdr] HERMES schedule question...

Ray Page page.ray at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 09:02:06 PDT 2010

Thank you for your response Dan. I agree with your words of caution
regarding hand soldering PQFPs, TQPFs, etc. However, it's something I have
to do fairly often, so that does not concern me. I prefer to buy an A&T
board from a convenience (and possibly cost) perspective, but I also like
being on the front lines of a design rather than waiting for someone else to
do the work for me. I'm even considering starting with the release HERMES
design and then making my own mods to the schematic and layout.

I'm planning to make lemonade out of the fact that the FPGA source is in
Verilog instead of VHDL. This is the perfect opportunity to get fluent with
Verilog since it wouldn't be right to charge customers to learn a new
language. Carson has my back on the Windows/Linux side of the equation.

I'm fairly well equipped to do some serious digital and analog debug because
I have a 136 channel x 2M LA with 450MHz state speed, a 1GHz Lecroy scope,
and the other usual suspects in my lab. My specialty these days is
video-related FPGA/ system design stuff. You can gather some more info about
me and Carson here: www.attodyne.com. I hope no one considers this SPAM
because I do not sell "things"----only my services, which I will offer for
free to the HAM community.

In a nutshell, I'd like to know as soon as the most recent alpha board see's
daylight, so I can make the decision to either go with it, or roll my own.

Thanks again Dan!

-Ray