[hpsdr] HERMES schedule question

Kjell Karlsen la2ni at online.no
Thu Jun 17 14:03:58 PDT 2010

Hi all.

As I am the only one that has built a Hermes Beta board (as far as I know)
I can give the present status:

I finished the first Beta board 2 weeks before the Hamvention and the RX
part worked  but with some more spurs that Phil likes. We decided to send
this board to  Dayton installed in the Hammond enclosure also containing
an Apollo board to show the mecanical construction.

I got it bach a few days after Dayton and we continued the testing. Phil
managed to get the software for the TX working so at the moment I have one
working Hermes transceiver. There are still too much spurs in the RX but
also some leacage of the different oscillators at the output of the TX.
These problems seems to be related to grounding and decoupling of the
different circuits. I have managed to get it much better than it was at
the beginning.

Tony is working on an updated schematic and the layout of the Gamma board.
This will include one continuous groundplane and more decoupling
capacitors. It will also include a Switch Mode 5V PSU constructed by me
using one of the latest Switchers from Linear Tech. with a switching
frequency near 2 MHz. I am not able to find any spurs from this SMPSU in
the RX.

To speed the process there will be made only one Gamma board. As I have
time for it, I am going to build this one and test it in cooperation with
Phil. Hopefully I can receive this board in the end of July. If all goes
well I may have it tested after one week and then we can take a decision
for further Gamma boards production.

I hope this answers most of the questions.

73, Kjell