[hpsdr] Multiple Rx instances on HPSDR

dave powis g4hup at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 22 10:15:16 PDT 2010

Thanks John, and also to all the other useful replies that have come in to this thread.  I'm sure this has probably been gone through before on this reflector, but as a newcomer to here, I've not seen it - so my apologies to anyone who has seen all this previously!

Bringing together the information I have so far then:

Magister/Ozy run the same FPGA code and will already support 8 Rx's.  Mercury seems able currently to be able to run 3 Rx's (John) or 4 Rx's (Ken/Dave) depending on the code used, but work is in hand to condense the existing FPGA code potentially allowing more Rx's to be run?   Two Mercury boards have been used on the same Atlas backplane to run simultaneously via a single Magister.  The SDR code for the PC runs under Linux, but effort is being put into migrating it across to a windoze environment.  As Ken observed, for my specific application I do not need all the overheads of Tx SDR code.

For my purposes, I would be happy to run in a Linux environment, although I have only a little experience of it.  Knowing that multiple (well two, at least) Mercury boards has already been tried on a single backplane also helps with confirming a route forward.  If I can get the confidence that HPSDR will provide a solution, my intention is to invest in a single Mercury, Atlas and Magister during a trip to the US this summer, so that I can start to experiment.

Thanks for all the help,
Dave, G4HUP / ND8P