[hpsdr] OZY II: USB vs Ethernet ?

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sun Mar 7 17:39:15 PST 2010

> Have been following the development of OZY II on TeamSpeak and the Wiki
> with
> interest.
>
> A question: What is the place for an Ethernet interface with HPSDR?  Would
> such a high data rate interface have any performance impact for CW or
> voice
> mode use thru PowerSDR?  Or, is the benefit of an Ethernet HPSDR interface
> to be seen with advanced digital signaling such as digital TV using HPSDR?
> Or, is an Ethernet interface just an alternative interface that makes
> sense
> for some systems and not for others?  I'm at sea.
>
> John Petrich, W7FU

Hi John,

Thanks for your question. With the current HPSDR board set there are no
major advantages of using Ethernet over USB2. However, we many avoid
possible driver issues with Linux, Win7, 32/64 bit systems etc.

With the prototype OyzII I can attach it to my home network and access it
from any PC - that may be of interest to some folks.

Ethernet is really positioning us for future projects....HPSDR is a
journey, not a destination.

73's Phil...VK6APH