[hpsdr] OZY II: USB vs Ethernet ?

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Sun Mar 7 23:47:40 PST 2010

On Mar 7, 2010, at 11:11 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Phil Harman wrote:
>
>> With the prototype OyzII I can attach it to my home network and
>> access it
>> from any PC - that may be of interest to some folks.
>
> Think bigger...  No reason to limit access to your home network.
> You could access it via Clearwire or cell-phone networking from a
> vehicle.  Access it from 802.11 access in a restaurant or clubhouse.
> Plug into a friend's network and access your home station.  Of
> course accessing it from a wireless laptop in/near my home would be
> fun too.

Remember that what's going to be coming out of Ozy II is I/Q samples
at whatever your sample rate is.  192000 24 bit samples per second is
around 4.6Mbit of sustained data.  That's not counting any overhead
from ethernet, UDP, and the C&C bytes from Ozy.  Most residential
connections won't support 5Mbit of sustained upstream right now.  But
it might become more interesting as bandwidth increases.

The better model for what you're proposing, for now, is the one that
John Melton is working with, which is to do the DSP processing and
shove out audio streams that are a lot leaner.