[hpsdr] report: no luck with VirtualBox on WinXP

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 13:14:34 PST 2010

The other way around is the way to go...

Wipe the disk then install Ubuntu Linux.  Then get Virtual Box (or
VMware Server, both are free)  and run that on Linux, then install
Windows inside the Virtual PC.

Now your Linux based software is happy and you can still run whatever
Windows software you need.

I have Windows PCs running in virual machine on both my high end dual
Xeon Linux system and on an Apple iMac.

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Ken N9VV <n9vv at wowway.com> wrote:

> Hi, this is just a status report. I have had no luck getting John Melton's
> server and dspserver to run on Ubuntu 9.10 using VirtualBox on a WindowsXP
> dual-core 2GB RAM machine.
>
> The problem is first recognized when initozy tries to load the FX2 and FPGA.
> The USB connection is enumerated correctly and recognized, but then it is
> dropped, and by the time it is enumerated again (> 60 seconds) the VBox can
> not cope with the missing device.
>
> lsbusb shows that Ubuntu sees the "Free Software Folks HPSDR OZY Rev1" at
> the beginning, but the eventually drops it. I tried various SLEEP commands
> inside initozy with no luck. I believe the problem is how VirtualBox handles
> the USB interface to Ubuntu.
>
> A friend reports that this behavior is the same with all the Virtual setups
> he tried (VMware, Wine, Qmenu, VirtualBox).
> ---------------------------
> John Menton's jmonitor.jar java application compiles easily under WinXP
> NetBeans and operates very well, but the server remains on a Linux box.  You
> can point your WinXP jmonitor.jar to any server
> that is available to you. There are three online at this time:
> "java -jar jmonitor.jar --server XXX.XX.XX.XX"
> ---------------------------
> Simply point your browser to any one of these webservers:
>
> Below is an announcement from Chris in Haifa Israel 4X1RF that his Mercury
> is now online:
> http://4x1rf.no-ip.org
>
> John Melton is online in the UK:
> http://g0orx.homelinux.net/jmonitor.html