[hpsdr] PowerSDR CAT seems to go to sleep...solution

w3sz 73w3sz at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 10:12:39 PST 2010

Hi All,

I solved the problem with my HPSDR/PowerSDR CAT control going to sleep
when no CAT commands were sent to the HPSDR for more than about 10
minutes [I did not determine the exact time].

I am posting what I found to potentially save others from having to deal
with this [although what I am seeing could be an idiosyncrasy of my
systems, so perhaps no one else will ever see it].

It turns out that for some reason on my systems the HPSDR/PowerSDR needs
to see a signal on the CAT line periodically.  If there is no CAT
traffic for a period of time [10 minutes or more, I estimate], then the
HPSDR/PowerSDR CAT line goes to sleep as I originally detailed, and
needs to be re-enabled in PowerSDR.

I found that by polling the HPSDR with an "FA;" CAT command sent down
the CAT to the HPSDR/PowerSDR every 2 seconds by using a VB6 timer event
to trigger this, everything works fine and the CAT doesn't shut down.

This issue occurred/was cured by the above step on 4 different
computer/HPSDR combos, all running XP.  I ended up standardizing the
virtual comports to com0com [and hub4com/com2tcp-rfc2217 for the TCP
comports] on all computers, but that didn't change things.  Adding the
CAT polling made the difference.  Since adding the CAT polling, I have
had things running for 17 hours with no CAT shutdowns ;)

I don't know if this issue is due to the inclusion of a 'watchdog' timer
setup in PowerSDR to monitor the CAT line and shut it down if there
seems to be no data flowing of the CAT for an extended period of time,
or if its an idiosyncrasy of my code, but in any event, if you have this
problem, adding polling of the HPSDR should solve it.

73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ