[hpsdr] HPSDR Question

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Tue Mar 23 19:49:52 PDT 2010

Dave:
>  I think I have a RF feedback issue.
>
> Using my HP431C with a 40db 100 watt attenuator I can confirm over 100 watts
> from my Penelope/Penny/EB63 string.

What kind of drive signal?  The single tone "tune" signal?
> If I connect to my 80M antenna through a Bird with a 100 watt slug My PEP is
> around 14 watts.

Do you have the special Peak Reading Bird? or the normal Bird Model 43,
which reads average, not PEP?
What do you have that reads PEP?  That requires a special peak reading
watt meter, or using a more
common piece of test equipment, put a calibrated oscilloscope across the
output of the transmitter

What kind of drive signal are you measuring? Tune?  Two tone test
signal?   Voice?

What does the Bird say if you use the "Tune" function with the drive
control set to the same level setting as you used
to get the 100 Watt CW output into the attenuator/load?

What does the Bird say if you put it in between the transmitter and the
40 dB attenuator/HP431C.
Do the Bird and the HP setup agree?
> The antenna measured SWR is less than 1.3 so I would not expect this to be
> an issue.

Certainly not a big issue.
> What is the best board stack starting at the LPU side? Right now I run
> Mercury/Ozy/Penelope/Excalibar/Antenna switch.

I am not aware of any board order issues, with the newer versions of
software loaded into
the cards.  Card position sensitivity was mostly any issue with some of
the early software
loads.

--- Graham / KE9H

==