[hpsdr] New to the Project

n3evl n3evl at townisp.com
Fri Mar 26 14:02:17 PDT 2010

Bernie,

It kind of depends what you want...

One approach is the 'traditional' hpsdr configuration that would include
the following pieces:

Atlas backplane (Various boards plug into this)
Ozy or Magister USB Computer Interface (Ozy no longer in production but
Magister is available from TAPR; also OZY-II in the works for Gigabit
Ethernet instead of USB)
Mercury RX (Available from TAPR)
Penelope TX (Available from NT-Electronics in Germany)

With the addition of power [e.g. via an ATX power supply or 13.8V fed to
the HPSDR LPU] and some kind of T/R switching you'll have all the
hardware parts for a 160-6m ~0.5W Transceiver.

Add Pennywhistle PA for ~20W (and some additional output filtering) and
Pandora - the box to put it all in.
Add Excalibur for greater frequency accuracy.

Note: some of the above are in kit form requiring some surface mount
skills (great fun) and some boards are pre-built and tested.

Alternatively...

Check out the HERMES web page and wiki.  Hermes combines a Mercury style
RX and Penelope style TX onto a single board and does not require the
Atlas backplane.  Still in development.

Of course you need software to use the radio - see HPSDR version of
PowerSDR, KISS, and various other options available for Windows or Linux
or Mac.

Some of the projects mentioned on the web and wiki pages address
application other that RX/TX - see cyclops, Thor, etc.

Best thing to do is review all of the sections of the Web and Wiki pages
and become familiar with what each piece does, what it's current status
is.  Check out TAPR and NT-Electronics for currently available items and
prices.  Ask more questions on the e-mail reflector as they arise.

Hope this helps.

Pete, N3EVL