[hpsdr] PSK31 Demodulation and Standardization of Interface

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Sun May 30 17:46:22 PDT 2010

Sorry to dig this out, but I had been meaning to reply when things calmed down a little for me.

On May 23, 2010, at 7:29 PM, Frank Brickle wrote:

> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 10:00 PM, Jeremy McDermond
> <mcdermj at xenotropic.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm just throwing out some thoughts here.
>>
>> ==PSK31 and other digital modes==
>>
>> I don't think we really want baseband audio into a PSK31 decoder if we can avoid it...
>
> A worthy thought. However, I think you'll find that most of the PSK
> processing is going to involve basebanding regardless. The question
> may be whether it needs to be routed through the audio subsystem, the
> answer to which is, clearly, no. But basebanded it surely will be.

Well, I'm pretty much an SDR neophyte and trying to get a handle on everything still yet, so you'll have to forgive me if I have a fundamental concept error of some sort.  My understanding is that to a certain extent, everything in the current OpenHPSDR stack is "basebanded" before it gets to the computer.  When you ask the hardware for your 192kHz chunk of bandwidth, it's essentially baseband around the frequency you request.  Am I misunderstanding the meaning of "baseband"?

>> ==Standardization of Interface==
>>
>> I keep thinking about things about the "on the wire" interface between these components...
>
> Preach on, brother. Some of us have been advocating this point of view
> for, literally, some years now. It's a hard point to drive home,
> however.

It's on my long "list of things to play with" to see if maybe I can write a plugin for Darwin Streaming Server that will talk to the OpenHPSDR hardware and serve out both raw I/Q data, and processed data across the network with RTSP/RTP protocols.  When I'll actually get a chance to work on it, who knows. :)

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com