[hpsdr] Question on SDR-1000

n3evl n3evl at townisp.com
Mon May 31 17:16:32 PDT 2010

Harry,

Welcome back to the hobby and to [HP]SDR...

Just so there's no confusion (I'll try not to introduce any!)...

The SDR-1000 conventionally connects to the PC sound card such that the
sound card does the Analog->Digital (Rx) and Digital->Analog (Tx) piece
of the puzzle.  Typically you'd use a high quality sound card with the
appropriate number of inputs and outputs - such a card might be the
M-Audio Delta44 or the Edirol FA-66 (I think that's the right Edirol
type).  The sound card left and right channels represent I & Q
components of the baseband signal presented by/to the SDR-1000.  In
addition to this, the Radio is typically connected to the PC via a
parallel cable for the non-signal piece of the puzzle such that the
radio can change frequency, switch between Tx/Rx, etc.

Flex also offered a USB->Parallel cable that enabled PCs without a
parallel port to communicate the command and control as described
above.  As another person mentioned, this is not a generic USB->Parallel
cable but a special one designed for the purpose.  There are setup
fields in PowerSDR where the type of interfaces in use are specified.

With the combination of Atlas, Ozy, and Janus, HSPDR took performance to
a higher level.  With this configuration, the Janus board does the A->D
and D->A role, eliminating the need for the sound card described
previously.  In addition, the Ozy board provides a single USB connection
to the PC for signal AND command and control.  Ozy has a parallel port
connection to satisfy the needs of the radio and the USB connection
between Ozy and the PC is a general purpose USB - no special esoteric
cables needed.

The benefits of the HPSDR approach are many but I think I am correct in
stating that the performance of the Janus card exceeds that of any of
the sound cards typically used.

As others have stated, the main difficulty you might run into in setting
up such a SDR-1000/HPSDR solution today is availability of all the
various pieces.  Magister, the interim replacement for Ozy (in
anticipation of OzyII) does not have the extra support for the SDR-1000.

Depending on your needs/wishes/budget/timescale/phase of the moon? you
may wish to evaluate where you wish to go with this.  In my case, as
I've been accumulating the various HPSDR boards to the point of
(more-or-less) having a functional transceiver, I reverted my SDR-1000
back to it's original state using the M-Audio Delta 44 card and the
parallel interface (my PC did not have a Parallel port but I was able to
purchase one for ~$20.00).  So now my Atlas bus has Mercury, Penelope,
Ozy, and Excalibur and is accompanied by the LPU and Pennywhistle and
eagerly awaits Atlas.  Janus is no longer installed in Atlas as it no
longer has a role in this configuration.  Incidentally, I can run two
instances of PowerSDR and have both radios running simultaneously on the
same PC and, as nice as the SDR-1000 is, on the Rx side of the equation,
Mercury has it beat!  Note also that not all SDRs are the same - the
Direct Down Conversion/Direct Up Conversion approach embodied in
Mercury/Penelope is a major improvement over the QSD/ QSE approach used
in the SDR-1000.

Hope this helps.

Pete, N3EVL