[hpsdr] .NET Framework issues when installing

Erich Heinzle vk5hse at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 15:27:52 PDT 2010

I installed powersdr on a clean Windows XP installation on an AMD Athlon 2000+, with 756MB of RAM and separate NVidia video card of a similar vintage.

I used:

svn://64.245.179.219/svn/repos_sdr_hpsdr/trunk/W5WC/PowerSDR_HPSDR_1.19.3/bin/Release

along with the relevant .Net updates recommended (1.0, 1.1, and 4.0, as well as the windows 3.5 installer if I recall correctly).

The issue I ran into which caused some hair pulling was accessing the skins folder of the PowerSDR IF distribution

http://www.wu2x.com/downloads/PowerSDR-IF%20Stage%20v1.19.3.5.zip

The computer kept whining about .NET incompatibilites when trying to extract the relevant Skins directory, as it was part of the installer which needed to be run, not just a zipped archive. I think an additional .Net update (?2.0) needed to be installed just to get the PowerSDR-IF software installer to run so that I could get to the Skins folder.

It would help new users if the Skins folder could be made available as a separately downloadable archive/zip/tarball, to avoid these hassles.

The software runs OK, and has at least confirmed that the code running under windows XP is a bit more optimised than that produced by Ubuntu's compiler toolchain on my currently borderline/dumpster diving level hardware.

Regards,

Erich
VK5HSE