[hpsdr] Digital Voice and HPSDR

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 13:31:13 PDT 2010

I think you have it right now.   But SDR has the potential to change
the way we use these modes.   With a conventional radio we tune to one
frequncy then send the audio output to a demodulator speciifc to that
mode, be it DRM, PSK or whatever.

With an SDR we can do two things differently:

1) We don't need to first convert to audio.  If fact it's a silly
waste of CPU cycles to do it that way. the software can look at the
power spectra in the IF and not bother converting to audio and then
back to digital again.

2) because of #1 above, we can demodulate ALL of the digital modes in
the entire band (within bandwidth limits of the SDR) simultaneously.
And I include CW as a digital mode.

But for now, yes or SDRs are used to emulate old style 80's vintage
analog radios and you can work digital modes the same say

--
=====
Chris Albertson