[hpsdr] reducing computer radiated emissions

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Tue Nov 30 00:03:55 PST 2010

My Core 2 Duo on a Gigabyte main board in a CoolerMaster case radiates
all sorts of junk, from somewhat noisy discrete signals to hash covering
tens of kHz, that changes when I move the mouse, and when the DSL modem
/ router sends out ARP queries once a second.

Mercury's input is by 20-feet of RG-58 coax, connected to a 4:1 toroidal
balun, open-wire feed-line and an off-center-fed dipole, one end of
which is, unfortunately, only about 20 feet from the computer.

I've placed snap-around ferrites on the power cord, ethernet cable,
monitor cable, USB, keyboard & mouse cables, without noticeable improvement.
The ethernet cable is more than 100 feet long, the DSL modem being
pretty far from my shack.

Have others solved this sort of problem?
What did you do?

Thanks!
73,
Dave