[hpsdr] Excalibur Issues

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Wed Nov 10 15:56:49 PST 2010

On Nov 10, 2010, at 3:29 PM, Graham / KE9H wrote:

> Jeremy:
>
> The warbling you are describing is usually the result of driving the Atlas
> bus with multiple 10 MHz frequency sources.  Are you sure that you have
> turned off both Mercury and Penelope 10 MHz output to the bus?

To test, I removed Penelope, JP8 is removed on Mercury, and the software is set to take 10MHz source from Atlas.

> The fact that the warbling goes away when you turn off Excalibur would be
> consistent with two drive sources.
>
> Do you have an oscilloscope that you can look at the 10 MHz line on the
> Atlas bus with?

Unfortunately, no.  I have a "test equipment wish list" that has a good oscilloscope and a service monitor on it, but I haven't gotten there yet.

> As far as having a bad TCXO, that is possible, but I have not seen one of them
> fail that way, so far.

The interesting thing is that it was working up until not too long ago.  I don't know exactly when it broke.  I also tested with Magister instead of Metis and am getting the same behavior.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com