[hpsdr] Gigabit Ethernet Switch Options?...

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Mon Nov 15 16:27:58 PST 2010

On Nov 15, 2010, at 1:16 AM, Chris Smith wrote:

> Jeremy
>
>> I have a Linksys 8-port gigabit switch (EG008W), and my Aiport Extreme has gigabit ports on it.  Both work well enough, but my father has had problems with the Linksys switches at times.  This is kinda surprising since Linksys is now owned by Cisco.
>
> I'm afraid it doesn't surprise me as Cisco simply bought out Linksys without, apparently, putting any design effort or Cisco quality into the "consumer" product line.

Point well taken.  The surprise comes form expecting Cisco to do exactly that.  it's been a while since I've bought much consumer grade stuff.  I've gotten in the habit of buying older enterprise equipment that's still in working order.  I last bought an old 2924XL for $25 to power my server rack in the datacenter.

> I was, briefly, the techie for my village's wireless broadband mesh in which the wireless access points were mainly Linksys. They turned out to be the bane of my life and the company's coffers as we had to replace them as they failed, in various ways, at regular intervals. By the time we handed over to a commercial outfit there weren't many Linksys units left in the system.

There's a reason why the Aeronet stuff goes for so much cash I suppose. :)

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com