[hpsdr] ability to amplify pennywhistle (much) beyond 17W?

Erik Anderson erikba at odysseus.anderson.name
Tue Nov 16 21:32:52 PST 2010

I just came back from my digital group showing what I have been assembling
here and the biggest answer I got was pretty much "that's a lot of money for
a qrp rig".  This would be my second radio beyond a 5W triband HT, so 17W
did seem like a lot in comparison, but they're saying that it takes a
minimum of 50W to drive an amplifier and 100W is the minimum target in order
to get good transmission on HT.  Plus my wanting to explore heterodyning
into higher frequencies cutting into the signal power and this starts to
feel a bit on the weak side.

So... we have Pennywhistle that does 17W.  Other than linking to a second
radio, can I get some suggestions as how to amplify the output from this
thing?

Erik KE7YOA