[hpsdr] CW Offset still causing me transmit frequency problems

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 20 20:22:37 PDT 2010

  Merv:

For various reasons, this kind of transmitter can not transmit with an
offset of zero.

There is a very small mathematical "black hole" at exactly zero, and if
you go there, you will
sucked to the center of the earth, or sent out to infinity, or something
appropriately
unpleasant and unpredictable like that.   Since this would no doubt
violate some regulatory
rule or other, the writers of PowerSDR were just trying to protect you
with the minimum
offset of 200 Hz.    :-)

So either set the transmit frequency low by 600 Hz, then transmit CW
with an offset
of + 600 Hz.

OR:

Use a mode like AM, where the signal is intended to
transmit a carrier at a specific center or carrier frequency, then just
don't
modulate it.  In this case, PowerSDR is offsetting internally by an IF
frequency,
canceling the image, and then correcting the math before displaying.

Essentially what I suggested you do with CW above, but it is all
automatic and hidden
from you, so you won't have to do any math.

--- Graham / KE9H

==