[hpsdr] Bringing up Ozi

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 13:17:11 PDT 2010

I'm attempting to bring up a never-before-run Ozi board.  It's not
talking on the USB bus yet.  Earlier this week it was starting to
talk but not enumerating, now I can't get it to talk at all.

With a 24 MHz crystal going into the FX2 chip, what is the CLKOUT
("FX2_Clock" signal between FX2 and FPGA) frequency supposed to be
on a completely unprogrammed FX2?  I'm measuring about 11.76 MHz.

The data sheet for the FX2 says:

     CLKOUT: 12-, 24- or 48 MHz clock, phase locked to the 24 MHz
     input clock. The 8051 defaults to 12 MHz operation.

Maybe the board needs to be cleaned again around the crystal and
caps to get it to settle in to the right frequency?  Any other
suggestions?

I was thinking about replacing the FX2 but the CLKOUT signal looks
great, just the wrong frequency.  Getting it to oscillate at the
right frequency would be the first logical step.  The board was
hand-built (before I got it) so it's also possible that the crystal
caps are wrong.