[hpsdr] OzyII<> Metis

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Fri Sep 3 07:03:48 PDT 2010

All,

Here's the latest news regarding OzyII.  I've completed testing the Alpha PCB and it checks out OK. I also have code for UDP/IP, DHCP, ping and Discovery working.  We can also load a new image into the FPGA flash memory via the Ethernet connection and restart the board without needing to cycle the power.

The board will also automatically detect the speed of the network it is connected to and select accordingly. There is also the facility to force the board to run at 100T in order to reduce power consumption if desired.

I only have I2C to add and we will have a first release of the FPGA code ready.

Bill, KD5TFD, has also built an Alpha PCB and has it working with Mercury and KISS Konsole.  Bill is presently adding support for the board in PowerSDR(TM).

We are currently preparing to produce a small run of Beta boards prior to production. These will have a few minor corrections and some re-positioning of components to make automated manufacturing and hand assembly easier.

TAPR are also preparing for production and will make their own announcement regarding expressions of interest etc. shortly.

We have decided not to call the board OzyII but rather  'Metis'.  Since the board does not provide any SDR1000 interfacing it really does not follow on from the original Ozy name.

Metis is the Greek  goddess of wisdom and deep thought, but her name originally connoted "magical cunning" . It had been prophesied that Metis would bear extremely powerful children - which sounds promising for future projects!

73 Phil...VK6APH