[hpsdr] New HPSDR card for VHF/UHF ?

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Mon Sep 6 18:02:15 PDT 2010

Hi Grant,

Thanks for your input. I feel sure that VHF/UHF Atlas boards are in the
HPSDR future so your input is very much appreciated.

If you could find that time the draw a block diagram I think that would
progress the design discussions significantly.

I understand that you are proposing a I/Q up/down converter system using
the same ADC as we used on Janus.

How would such a system compare with a transverter feeding Mercury/Penny?

The reason for my question is the DDC/DDU techniques we have been using
for the past few years overcomes the I/Q phase/amplitude correction issues
required with direct conversion techniques - particularly with the sort of
dynamic ranges you are proposing.

Whilst the art of correcting such errors has advanced in the past few
years, if there was not a significant performance difference then my
preference would be for a transverter approach.

I look forward to your comments.

73 Phil...VK6APH