[hpsdr] LPU & Multiple boards on Atlas

Erich Heinzle vk5hse at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 20:03:03 PDT 2011

I am about to build another LPU.

would it be worth me adding a facility to power the 5V
regulator with a separate lower voltage supply (i.e.
less than 12V, i.e. perhaps 6V or 7v) to help it cope
with multiple boards drawing high current, and by
bypassing the dropping resistor, avoid the power
dissipation/heat issues with high current draw at 5V?

Or should I just have the option to bypass the 5V
regulator entirely (as it is apparently limited to 2A),
and make provision for an external 5V supply if required?

Just thinking out loud.

Cheers,

Erich
VK5HSE