[hpsdr] LPU & Multiple boards on Atlas

Dick Faust k9ivb at cox.net
Mon Apr 4 23:16:34 PDT 2011

You might consider using some 3A [like MR508] or  5A silicon power
diodes in series to either replace the resistor or lower its value and
power requirements.  It is an old trick.  At 2 - 3 Amps most power
diodes exhibit slightly more than 0.6VDC drop so 4 in series would
approach a 2.5V drop.  The diodes will still generate some heat, but not
as much as a resistor.  Remember to keep the leads rather long as they
are part of the heat sink for the chips.  Might also need some bypass
caps to eliminate any RF.

I do not recall from memory the minimum supply voltage for the regulator
[thats is why older guys get a data sheet for reference] , but  be sure
you leave a little head room or the regulator will drop out.

Dick Faust K9IVB