[hpsdr] HPSDR Signal Overload ( In the digital processing???)

Mike F mikecf100 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 09:40:08 PDT 2011

This morning I had a fairly strong noise floor while operating on 14m.
I noticed that every so often the floor would take a step increase and
then take a step decrease.  As I woke up I realized that the noise floor
increases/decreases were coincident with strong signals (transmissions)
appearing and disappearing in the display window.  These signals were
not excessively strong.  I looked at the following.

1.  The adc overload light on mercury was not lighting.  (I had already
concluded that it was unlikely that a reasonable signal change in my
small portion of the overall bandwidth would generate visible adc
overloads.)

2.  The condition was not affected by turning the preamp on/off.

3.  Since I had just switched to Metis, I switched back to Ozy and
verified that there was no change in the problem.

4. I have just switched from psdr 1.19.3.2 to 1.19.3.3.  However, I
tried 3.2 and the problem was still there.

Mercury firmware version is 2.9.

As can be seen from my subject, I am biased towards some problem
somewhere in the DSP chain.

I have two screen capture JPEGs with waterfalls that clearly show the
problem described above.  However, it is my understanding that we cannot
include attachments to these messages.  I will be happy to supply same
to any interested parties.

Thanks

Mike Fager, K7SR