[hpsdr] Fwd: Re: HPSDR Signal Overload ( In the digital processing???) (Update)

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Wed Apr 6 22:08:45 PDT 2011

Hi Mike,

Ah Ha.... Having looked more closely at your second screen shot I'm sure I
know what the problem is.

If you look in the waterfall at the signal at 14.195MHz you see the noise
floor increases when this signal is present - and its a big signal.

You also have both noise blankers on.  The first noise blanker actually
sets the I&Q signals to zero once the user set signal threshold has been
passed. If the threshold is set too low this creates massive IMD and
raises the noise floor.

Try turning the noise blanker off and/or set the threshold higher on the
Setup screen.  I normally set the first noise blanker high enough that IMD
is not present and then adjust the second blanker to take out the balance
of the noise.

I trust that solves the mystery.

73 Phil...VK6APH