[hpsdr] HPSDR Signal Overload ( In the digital processing???)

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Wed Apr 6 18:59:54 PDT 2011

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sending me your screen captures.  As far as I  can see there is
a few dB increase in noise floor between the two images.

We need to determine if this is due to a hardware fault with Mercury, a
bug in the DDC FPGA code or the PC software, or external signals.

I suggest you first check your Mercury board. Do this as follows.

- calibrate Mercury on say 20m using a known signal source.
- connect a 50 ohm load directly to the antenna socket on Mercury. I use
one of old 50 ohm BNC Ethernet terminators.
- select preamp on, CW, 500Hz bandwidth and Average on the S Meter.
- Note they S Meter reading. If your Mercury board is working correctly
this should be in the region of -133dBm.

When you next see the increase in noise floor place the 50 ohm load on the
antenna socket and check the S Meter reading on the same frequency that
you originally did the calibration.  If you see the same noise floor then
the analogue part of Mercury would appear to be OK.

I have seen the effect you report, where a single in or out of band signal
increases the noise floor, when the PowerSDR Noise Blanker is in circuit.

This generates intermodulation products that increases the noise floor.

I have also seen the noise floor increase due to wide band noise from
local appliances e.g. SMPSU, air conditioning etc.

Anyway let's start by checking the analogue portions of the Mercury receiver.

73 Phil...VK6APH