[hpsdr] Boat Anchors..PreAmps

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Thu Apr 7 22:32:19 PDT 2011

The ADC is a voltage driven device. It will overload (gracefully in the
case of Mercury) if the instantaneous vector sum of all the signals at its
input (i.e. after any filtering) exceeds a specified value.

Before starting the design of Mercury I was advised by a well know
mathematician that all the signals in the input bandwidth will add
together and overload the ADC. In which case don't bother trying to build
such a receiver.

I also asked Bill Sabin - he agreed with the analysis. But added that this
would happen once, for a second, in my life time.

The rest is history...

73 Phil...VK6APH