[hpsdr] Metis network throughput

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Mon Apr 25 14:54:41 PDT 2011

On Apr 22, 2011, at 4:21 AM, Phil Theis wrote:

> I was scanning the archives but couldn't find this
> What is the normal operating speed requirement for metis?
> will it perform in a switched 100bt environment?  or does it need the gigabit speed?

Metis will currently perform fine in a 100Base-T environment.  In fact, the board is jumpered to only negotiate a 100Base-T connection.  The current Mercury firmware doesn't need the extra bandwidth, and Metis at gigabit speeds can cause power supply issues for those with an LPU (there's not enough current out of LPU in some cases.)  So, you're just fine with a 100Base-T switch.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com