[hpsdr] Mercury A/D

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 9 19:12:57 PDT 2011

hi everyone,
I purchased a second Mercury a few weeks ago and have been very concerned with the A/D temperature rise with no heat sink. I picked up some 8-32 x 1/2 inch brass flat head screws. I tinned the screw flat side and the A/D thermal pad. Then heated the screw until there was flow between them. I found a couple TO66 sized u shaped heat sinks and opened up one hole to accept the 8-32 screw and attached it with a couple nuts. I just ran the radio a couple hours and was surprised at how warm the hunks of aluminum got. It is in the 80s in the shack tonight. I'm thinking the surface area is around 3 square inches per side, I think this temperature rise is acceptable but the heat sinks stick out of the top of the pandora chassis so need to find a configuration that fits inside. I may do an l bracket to attach to the Pandora lid which would also hold the boards more stable.
Diversity is really cool, but my 3 amp 5 volt supply needs a fan to keep it from cooking.
I'll be changing out the power supply modules soon. I picked up a couple nice linear modules on ebay large enough to handle 3 Mercury receivers.  I down sized the 12 volt 3 amp supplies to 1.2 amps to make room for the larger 5 volt module. frank WA1GFZ