[hpsdr] Alex: definitely need docs now!

george byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Tue Aug 23 08:03:00 PDT 2011

I went to the post office and collected the large box with the 'expensive'
parts of Alex.  This larger box is sent (within the USA at least) as
'insured' (because of its value).  So it must be signed for.  The smaller
box with the cables was only sent with tracking to confirm that delivery had
occurred.

So, using the endplate with antenna holes as a guide, I was able to locate
where the Alex boards went in the Hammond box.  And all that is now mounted
in my Pandora.  HOWEVER! It looks like all the boards (metis, pennylane and
mercury) need to be moved to be closest to Alex as possible for the VSWR
cable to reach.  Or else a longer VSWR cable may need to be offered?

And, of course, it would be good to know exactly where all these cables are
supposed to plug in.

If I can get all this sorted out, I may be able to make more progress on
adding Alex support to KISS Unified.  That's the only version where it will
be added, as putting it in there adds it both for Ethernet (Metis) and USB
(Ozy/Magister).  I've done a bit of work on that and have the UI in place in
Setup.  And most of the code in the Process_data and Data_send functions.
I'm just not sure if setting the TX antenna on PTT is enough.  There may be
more other cases when it needs to be selected.  I'll do what I can and wait
for Phil to return from holiday in about 10 days (end of next week.)

73,
George Byrkit, K9TRV