[hpsdr] N210 Comparison

Harry A hpa_missouri at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 2 12:22:57 PDT 2011

If I'm stepping on any toes, or if this starts the wrong kind of discussion, or if I'm asking the wrong question of the wrong list,  please say so and ignore my request.  :)
Is it possible for someone to do a "generalized" or "simplified" comparison of the hpsdr product(s) and the N210 product(s)??  Or maybe it already exists and I just haven't found it yet.  Specs, band range, etc.
I have just a little understanding of the sdr subject and I'm aware of a multitude of products out there and would like to further understand how they all compare.  I'm mainly interested in the ham areas and maybe a comparison would just be in the 0-1ghz range or ??
You can assume I'm a beginner and I'm asking if I should buy an antique crystal radio or super het because I don't understand the specs regarding sensitivity, selectivity, band range, limitations,  potential for upgrading, etc., of what's out there.
What would be even more beneficial to me would be to also lump in some of the commercial products like Flex in this comparison.
Again, I'm just trying to better understand what the options are and where I should get started without trying to buy one of everything out there and evolve from there.  I have a small start on the atlas project right now but I see so many things out there.
Most of the "How to get started" sdr things I see out there generally relate to the project/product that is the subject of the web page.  I think hpsdr is the best way to go but because of how little I know on the subject, there may be better starting points???
Thanks for any assistance.
HarryKD0LQE