[hpsdr] Status Thor?

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sun Aug 7 01:05:22 PDT 2011

Hi Stijn,

I've not heard from the last project leader - Steve,  G1YLB - for quite a
while so assume the project has stalled for the time being.

There is support for a Class E amplifier in Penny(Lane) and also the KD5TFD
version of PowerSDR.

My original low power tests on 160m were very encouraging - I'd really like
to see this project progress, just don't have the spare time myself at the
moment.

It also looks like the  SGC 'Mini-Lini (TM)'  Class E PA has not made it
into a commercial product:

< http://www.sgcworld.com/500watt.html >

perhaps we could acquire or gain access to the IP and run with the project
ourselves?  Since, using Penny, we can independently adjust the phase
relationship between the envelope and RF drive signals, on a band-by-band
basis, we should be able to overcome most of the problems that beset earlier
designs.

I gather one of the problems with the SGC design was getting the PWM
envelope modulator to drop to 0v during the trough of the modulation.  To
get round this they ran the PA in Class A for small input levels - an
innovative solution.  The other problem is that the bandwidth of the
envelope is much higher than the bandwidth of the voice modulation. If you
think of the envelope of a two-tone test signal then when the envelope goes
to zero there is an almost instantaneous change in direction of the envelope
voltage - this needs lots of bandwidth to keep the transition clean.  With
higher frequency SMPSU chips now available it may make the design of the
envelope LPF some what simpler -  not something I've recent experience with.

Anyone have the time and skills to run with this project?

73 Phil...VK6APH