[hpsdr] Status Thor?

Stijn stijn at pe1rks.nl
Wed Aug 10 13:59:33 PDT 2011

Hello Phil, group,

Let me first express my appreciation for all the time and effort that
you and of course many others have invested in this wonderful project.
It is a pitty that the project Thor appears to be at a dead end,
unfortunately I don't have the time or all the skills involved to
continue this project.
But I still have some questions about the included support for Thor in
Penelope and PSDR as it is for today, am I correct that Penelope already
provides an envelope signal by using one of the PWM outputs? And is it
already possible to get a clean phase modulated output from the Penelope
RF port? Not that I am going to play with it in the short future, but
maybe if I find some time I will start some experiments on low power.
I unfortunately have very basic programming skills and absolutely no
experience with vhdl and fpga's, so I will be depending on what is already
available.

 From what I find on the net I think that a PWM modulator operating at
500kHz + is (easy) possible today, this leaves lots of bandwidth below
the PWM
low-pass filter cut-off. See the IRS2092 as an example. Almost the
complete PWM modulator in a single ic.
But as I understand it, it is also possible to get the PWM pulses
directly from Penelope or some of the other cards on the bus. This saves
a conversion
step and eliminates the distortion that this can create. In that case
you only need a fast FET driver. It would also be nice to have the
possibility to time shift
both signals from each other to compensate for filter, cable and other
delays in the total system.
But I personally think that the modulator is the easy part, making a
class E pa that covers multiple bands (preferably all including 6M) is a
completely
different story.

One of the main benefits of HPSDR over an analog transceiver is that we
don't have to split an analog SSB signal in two different components.

I surely hope that someone stands up to bring this project to a happy end.

Sincerely,

Stijn Nestra PE1RKS