[hpsdr] Distorted audio

Steve Bunch steveb_75 at ameritech.net
Thu Aug 11 04:34:52 PDT 2011

Chris,

On Aug 11, 2011, at 4:55 AM, Chris Smith wrote:

> I'm surprised that the T'bolt continued to work at all let alone at 10MHz although severely modulated. I can't begin to work out what voltages actually appeared at the input to the unit without the 0V connected. I guess that would depend on what current was drawn from each rail. Hmmm...

This is not as unusual as it sounds.  Many CMOS chips have worked for years with the power supply or ground pin disconnected, with power to the core logic and outputs being provided through the protection diodes on the unpowered chip's inputs -- the neighboring chips' outputs provide the power path for the chip!   Until, someday, the wrong pattern on the inputs comes along and doesn't provide enough power to run the core or switch the outputs ;-), at which point you can get a seemingly-random failure.  Or if you're really lucky, it just works...

So in a way you're lucky the symptoms were relatively obvious, you could have had more subtle symptoms!  It's like Bob Pease wrote when he autographed copies of his book on debugging circuits, "may your problems always be middle-sized, so you can find 'em!".

Steve, K9SRB