[hpsdr] Newbies guide to HSPDR and Ubuntu 10.04

Erich Heinzle vk5hse at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 4 18:55:48 PST 2011

I don't know what's involved in getting stuff onto the HPSDR wiki, but here's a quick newbies guide to getting ghpsdr3 up and running, based on my findings. Please feel free to modify and correct as required, or give a me a login if you trust me :-)

The readme hasn't kept up with the ghpsdr3 changes of late for the HPSDR

cheers,

Erich
VK5HSE

-----------------------------

This assumes an up to date ubuntu 10.04 installation on the computer

Bring up a terminal window on the ubuntu machine (i.e. via "applications-accessories-terminal") and paste, followed by enter:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:andrew-montefusco/ghpsdr3

this adds the ghpsdr3 software repository to your ubuntu installation's software sources
then type, followed by enter:

sudo apt-get update

this pulls down a list of the software available on the newly added repository, plus the usual software repositories,
then type, followed by enter:

sudo apt-get install ghpsdr3
this installs ghpsdr3 from the new repository
drop copies of the current .hex and .rbf files you're using for the HPSDR
 into your home directory by copying, downloading or copy and pasting them using a file browser

then, in the terminal window, type "cd" followed by enter
this will make sure you are in your home directory where you just put the .hex and .rbf files

type, followed by enter:

hpsdr-server

then in another terminal window, type, followed by enter:

dsp-server

running them in different windows will allow you to watch the messages scrolling by if required

QtRadio can then be launched either from the Applications-Internet-QtRadio menu
or, by typing in another terminal, followed by enter:

QtRadio &

QtRadio needs to be aimed at the computer running the server software, in the "receiver-configure-server" dialogue.
If it is the same machine, it will already be aiming at the default loopback address of 127.0.0.1, and nothing needs to be changed.

if it is another machine on the network with the HPSDR connected and running dspserver and hpsdr-server, enter its IP address, i.e. 192.168.0.5 for example - yours will probably be different.

select "receiver 0" in the "receiver-configure-server" dialogue if it
isn't already, and you're not doing funky stuff with multiple receivers.

then select "Receiver-Connect" and you should be off and away.