[hpsdr] Can't get ghpsdr3-alex to see Metis

Mark Leone midnightjava at verizon.net
Sat Dec 31 21:12:35 PST 2011

I'm following the instructions in the newbie guide for ghpsdr3-alex (on
the wiki), and hpsdr-server does not find my HPSDR. I installed the
software as follows

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:andrew-montefusco/ghpsdr3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ghpsd3

And the installation appears to be successful. But when I type

hpsdr-server --metis --interface eth0

it correctly reports eth0 IP and MAC addresses, but then reports "Found
0 Metis cards" . The address of eth0 is 192.168.2.1, and it is directly
cabled with an Ethernet cable to Metis at IP address 192.168.2.2. My
Internet connection is on a separate interface on a different subnet.
The eth0 interface is configured with subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and no
gateway is specified (if I specify 192.168.2.2 as the gateway, the
Internet connection stops working). I can connect to Metis from the same
interface when I boot the same PC as Windows and run PowerSDR.

Maybe I missed something in the pre-install setup. The guide said to
copy the .hex and .rbf files currently used for HPSDR to my home
directory. However the only .hex or .rbf files in my PowerSDR program
folder are named as being for Ozy and/or Janus, neither of which I use.
Was I supposed to copy these files anyway? Am I missing some other file?
Or is my Ethernet interface not set up properly?

Mark - K4XML