[hpsdr] audio drop outs and maybe transients

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 8 19:04:57 PST 2011

G.E. everyone,
A couple days ago I posted a screen shot of my signal with transients and drop outs. I was also getting the same drop outs on RX. The first thing I did was remove all the old server software on my machine from another life. Then I made a few changes that could be old news but here goes. Setup on Audio primary page I reduced the buffer to 256 and increased the sample rate to 192000. Then on the DSP tab I reduced both buffers to 1024.
My set up never ran well at 192K but tonight it seems fine. The delay between HPSDR and my analog RX  seems almost zero.
Now for the transient. I wonder if running a long buffer is the issue when it can't empty out when the rig is unkeyed? This leaves some data behind during the transition between TX and RX showing up as a modulation transient.
These changes did cost some horsepower. I increased from about 7% to around 16%
But everything seems happy. I'll run like this for a while and see if it is fixed.
Frank WA1GFZ